Sunday, June 5, 2011

A sailor's delight

So, I live in a tiny one bedroom guest cottage 
with my five year old, and often find it challenging to create a space that
is not only beautiful, but super functional as well.  
Everything that comes through the door must
thoroughly justify the space required, especially if it's furniture. 

I'll admit to you upfront - it's a work in progress!
I've started taking "before" pictures of areas that I am going to start
working on, but they are just a little too embarrassing to post
without the "after" picture.

So instead, I'll start sharing a few areas that maybe aren't quite
the way I totally want them, but at least make me happy
and bring a little sense to the "project guest house."

This should be fun, because as my budget is close to zero,
it's going to have to get really creative.  I hope to have this place 
whipped into shape sooner rather than later.

This little dresser is by my front door.
The floor space is totally justified, because this dresser is jam packed full
of beads, jewelry findings, thread, needles, scissors, fabric, and all
kinds of misc. crafting tools or supplies.  
When I moved in they were all stacked
in little boxes here and there, but I was able to score this adorable, perfect blue/green colored dresser from the lovely Vintage Bricoleur which is not 
only one of my favorite places to shop, but completely inspiring as well.




One of the few things that equals my love for antiques 
and vintage inspired goodness, is anything from the sea shore.
There is always room for another sea shell or split of drift wood,
and most definitely always room for my all time favorite: beach glass.
So between the bottle of beach glass, starfish and vase of 
beach combed treasures this is a little happy place in my house.
The box earlier this year was broken down and in really bad shape,
but I couldn't let it go, because my Nana had stored some of her jewelry in it.
So, a fresh coat of paint, a screw and some general tlc, and now I'm using it
to store all sorts of things.




How does the weekend go by so quickly?
I can't believe I'm pulling out clothes for work tomorrow and 
making a school lunch for my five year old.
She specifically asked for a hand packed lunch for tomorrow,
so I've done my best.  :)


I realize this is probably not the best photo you've ever seen,
but in light of all the recent cool and stormy weather, I just had to share.

It made me think of the fisherman's proverb that goes:
"A red sky at night is a sailor's delight,
A red sky at morning is a sailor's warning."


Although I didn't photograph it very well, we certainly did have a
red sky this evening, so I am taking that as a sailor's delight.
(which, by the way means good weather)
Here's to hopes of a little better weather this week.
(I checked the forecast, and it's in favor of the sailors too)

affectionately, Miss. Worm









No comments:

Post a Comment